The day before the last day of school there was a talent show. Anyone who wanted to participate could sign up to and Mia said she wanted to. I asked her if she was sure and explained that the whole school would be watching and she still wanted to do it. When I asked her what talent she wanted to share she said the hula. This is how our conversation went:
Me- Ummm... ok, do you know how to hula? Mia- No, and I want to hula to the song from Moana (How Far I'll Go). Ummm...ok, I guess we'll figure it out.
Well we bought a hula outfit and I looked up basic moves on the Internet and found the song on YouTube and she helped me put a dance together. On the day of the performance many a thing went wrong for me, the song I was planing on playing on my phone wouldn't work, talked to three people who were in charge trying to get it to work and then a saint of a lady said she had the song on her phone and she'd play it for Mia! Yeah! I was so relieved. Then when I was getting my video camera ready to record with the tripod, my tripod broke. I needed to help Mia with the actions so I couldn't hold it. I hurried and gave the camera to Lily and hoped for the best. Mia started dancing and she was so adorable and did an awesome job, I look over at Lily and she had pushed a button and didn't get anything recorded. Such is life I suppose. Then Mia's kindergarten teacher came up to me after a little while and told me she recorded some of Mia's dance on her phone and would send it to me. She saw me struggling and capture that priceless moment for me. I definitely had many tender mercies that morning. So grateful for others who are caring and willing to help others. I don't have a picture of her from that day though :(
Last day of school! The girls wanted to look their best for some reason so we curled hair that morning.
They had an award assembly on the last day and Abby got a certificate and treat for having 100% attendance. Not sure how she missed getting all the sickness that swirled around our house, but she did.
She also got an award because she achieved the typing wpm for her grade level that she was supposed to get to.
Then she got called up one more time because she was chosen to be one of the light house leaders for next year! She was so happy and I was so excited for her. She really wanted to be chosen and tried hard to get there. Light house leaders are like the student body council. She had to write an essay and get teacher approvals and make her case for why she should be one. So very proud of my Abigail!
Then on the last day of school these cuties decided to make a stand and sell bracelets and cookies that they made which got them a whopping $31! Then they went swimming. It was a good last day.
The next day we went to my niece and nephew's third birthday party. It was Troll themed. Don't ya just love the troll hair?!
After the party we went to This Is The Place monument. It has changed a lot since Eric and I last went.
After that we visited a park and played for a little while. Eric on the swing with Lily was just too sweet.
The following Sunday Lily gave her first talk in primary. She was not afraid at all. She went straight up there and stood on the stool that pulls out and I just busted up laughing because her head didn't even go above the stand at all! I was trying to figure out how I could hold her up and the pictures and help her with her talk when one of the ladies in the presidencies grabbed a chair and that worked perfectly. She did great, no one could understand a word she said but she was proud of herself and had a nice big smile. Side note about our ward. We sure do love the people that we have met here and my kids have loved them too. We have adopted a grandma that the girls take turns sitting with during sacrament, it's always a fight who's turn it is. There is also an older gentleman who always has candy in his pocket. One time in the middle of sacrament talks Lily sneaks away and walks around the back of the pews and stands next to this gentleman. She gives him her best smile and he reaches in his pocket and hands her a candy. She beamed and raced back to us with a triumphant smile. Lots of people came up to me and talked about that, they thought it was hilarious.... never a dull moment with kids.
After church we drove up Logan Canyon, planning on doing a small hike but discovered that there was still way too much snow. Stopped instead at the look out view, which was gorgeous. We met with Eric's parents and his older sister and her family.
We headed to Bear Lake just to look and then to the Paris cemetery, where we got a history lesson on some of Eric's family which was very interesting. I'm hoping if I hear it enough times that I'll be able to retell these stories to my girls. We stopped at the Paris tabernacle hoping to get a tour, we made it just after they closed. Luckily the gentleman giving tours said he'd give us the 5 minute tour and so we went inside. I've been once before when I was younger with a youth group from church, but it was fun to go in again. We stopped at a park right behind the tabernacle and ate the dinners we brought and the kids played for a while.
We stopped here for a bathroom break, this is a place we've gotten our Christmas trees from before.
We stopped at the Preston cemetery to end our day (there were more cemeteries to visit, just not enough time) It was a very nice day.
Kyla went to another belt advancement test and she did so well! She's now a green belt!
Abby and Kyla have joined a track team through the city for part of the summer. They had their first meet, which was a qualifying meet for which they could compete against those in their district. You could choose 3 events to compete in. Abby and Kyla both choose the long jump (which at their age they do the standing long jump), the softball throw (the older kids get to use and actual shot put), and the 50 yard dash. The top two bests in each event for each age group get to move on to district. Kyla placed 4th in all her events which I think is so great. The numbers were really close and I'm proud of her. Abby got last (which was 9th (Kyla jumped farther than she did)) place for the long jump, 3rd in the 50 yard dash, and 2nd in the softball throw! She gets to compete in the district meet! We were all surprised (even Abby) but I think it's great. They have other meets during the month that are just for fun basically, so everyone gets to keep competing and practicing.

No comments:
Post a Comment