Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Korra Evelyn Hobbs

First off I just have to say wowzers! I am still in shock about Korra's birth story.  Monday January 7, 2019.  I was having a hard time sleeping, which has been every night for over a month now, but decided to try my luck downstairs in our recliner.  I looked at the clock and it was 5am. I had another hour before I needed to get Abby up and going for school.  I got out of bed and felt a strange pop.  I thought maybe it was just one my joints popping because that happened most of the time when I got out of bed during this pregnancy, but felt different.  So my other thought was that maybe my water broke.  Well I grabbed my pillow and headed downstairs.  I looked outside and there was a lot of snow on the ground and it was still coming down. Eric does the snow removal for the apartments so I was going to get him going when I got Abby going to start removing snow.  I got the recliner all set up and I laid down and then it felt like I was peeing! So I headed to the bathroom and that's when I think it was sinking in that my water broke.  I didn't have any contractions before hand which is what was so weird and confusing.  Usually I will be dilated to a 7 or more before my water breaks so this was not something I was expecting at all.  So I go upstairs and woke Eric up.  By then I had one mild contraction.  I said to Eric that I had some good news and some bad news.  Good news I think Korra is coming, bad news there is a lot of snow outside.  Eric was a little slow waking up and understanding everything I was saying, but eventually he got it and got up and going.  He started getting all the girls up so we could head out. I remember telling Eric something to the effect that I've only had one real contraction so we don't need to rush too bad.  I went into the bathroom because I was still leaking and didn't want to make a mess everywhere and I needed to finish packing all my personal items for the hospital.  Eric had Abby try calling my mom so she could come up and be with the girls, but she didn't answer so we thought we'd just drop them off on our way to the hospital.  Well then I got a few more contractions, they came fast and hard.  I was sitting on the toilet because with those contractions I was leaking from my water being broken.  I started thinking that we were not going to make it to Logan.  I was preparing myself to deliver at the hospital in Tremonton.  Then I felt her coming and realized we weren't making it to the hospital at all.  I hurried and got in the bathtub and started shouting for Eric to come.  I was terrified that I was going to have to deliver my own baby all alone.  I heard Abby say, "Daddy!  Mommy needs you RIGHT NOW!"  Eric came running in while Korra's head was crowning.  I can only imagine what was going through Eric's head at that moment, but he kept very calm, got down there and delivered our baby.  He then dialed 911.  They asked questions like the address of our emergency and such, Eric answered all the questions but stopped her from asking more by saying, "I have a new born baby in my hands, what do I do?!"  Korra was crying and she had good coloring and the cord wasn't wrapped around her neck or anything.  I kept telling Eric to put her on me, put her on my chest and the 911 dispatch told him to do that also and then he finally put her on me.  We got towels to cover her and keep her warm.  Eric kept grabbing white towels for some reason and even in my state of shock I remember telling him to stop using all the white towels.  He asked me which ones to use and I said any other ones, the red one, dark green one, any one besides white!  Eric also helped deliver the placenta and wrapped that in a towel.  He got a shoelace to tie off the umbilical cord and tied that tight.  He had the girls watching for the ambulance.  I guess there was a police officer too that came, I never saw him though.  The EMTs got there and came into the bathroom (there was 3 of them).  The first man I saw was Jim Hess, he was on the bishopric before our ward split and I had his daughter in YWs.  (This is what happens when you live in a small town)  I smiled and said hi.  I was covered up with towels so it wasn't so bad but that was definitely weird.  He got to checking on the baby and he cut her cord.  They took the placenta and bagged it to take to the hospital.  They asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital.  I was surprised that they asked that, I thought that I would have to.  Anyway I didn't want to stay home, I wanted to make sure everything was okay and get taken care of.  So they took Korra downstairs and showed her to the girls and Eric helped me shower off and get in a robe.  I got my snow boots on and walked out to the ambulance and sat on the gurney and held my baby. Jim asked my permission if he could tell his wife, and the bishop and my RS president.  I said go for it, that would save me from having to spread the word.  They tried taking my blood pressure and vitals but I don't think it worked out so well through my robe.  They called the hospital to let them know the situation and that we were coming.  The roads were really slick and it was slow going, but we made it to the hospital and they wheeled me and baby in.  They were ready and waiting for us.  The doctor came in and checked me over.  I didn't tear and was doing good.  They weighed Korra 7lbs 5oz and measured her 20 1/2 in and asked us what time was she born.  Eric, who followed me in the van, and I looked at each other like what!?  That was not something we were thinking about at the time.  Eric checked his phone for when he called 911 and we picked a minute before then because that was as good a guess as any.  So 5:18am she was born.  Korra was healthy and well.  Eric's mom came and stayed with the girls, they didn't go to school that day.  They did get to visit us in the hospital.  They were very happy to have her here.  I think it scared them that I had her at home, but they all did great and were calm.  Eric felt bad because he couldn't stay with us in the hospital a lot that day.  He had to do snow removal and I had a tenant moving in that day he needed to take care of.  Eric had to sign papers stating that he was the person who delivered Korra and we had special papers to fill out because we had her at home and weren't planning on it.  This was definitely a different experience.  I'm just so grateful that there were no complications and that everything went so well.  It was my least painful and definitely my fast delivery ever. 
My last profile picture 38 weeks (just one week and day before she was born)











 Visitors



 Dressed to go home. Same outfit all her sisters went home in from the hospital.

 A few pictures at home.  She has been very loved.




No comments: